Saturday, August 25, 2012

Dagny Taggert, Feminist Hero

Because of its reputation for being long and boring I avoided Atlas Shrugged for years. Then my sister started reading it and convinced me to try it too. I already had a copy on my bookshelf (how it got there, I have no idea), so I started reading it. The biggest surprise to me was how strong of a woman Dagny Taggert is and how I had never heard anyone anywhere say that. She is by far the most fearless, independent, self-assured, sexually-free female protagonist I have ever come across in fiction. My sister and I kept remarking to each other that she says and does everything right.

So why don't feminists embrace her? She's clearly ticked all the boxes of Feminist Success. The only answer that I can come up with is that she doesn't require the government to help her solve her problems. She is therefore completely ignored. Any leftist criticism of Atlas Shrugged I ever read acts as if the book is about John Galt, when in my mind, the book is clearly about Dagny Taggert.

No comments:

Post a Comment